Requesting Records & Information

The Public Information Act

Texas Government Code, Chapter 552, gives you the right to access government records, and an officer for public information or the officer's agent may not ask why you want them. All government information is presumed to be available to the public. Certain exceptions may apply to the disclosure of the information. Governmental bodies shall promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, either constitutional, statutory, or by judicial decision, or information for which an exception to disclosure has not been sought.

Frequently Requested Records

The City receives the same request each month for various permits and reports. A monthly report will be generated on the first day of the month for the previous month for the requests below:

  • Permits
  • Code Violations
  • Substandard Building Active Cases
  • Structure Fire Loss

Click here to access permit lists and reports.

Effective Immediately: Notice of Disclosure of Water Customer Information:

Pursuant to Section 182.052 of the Texas Utilities Code and Section 552.1331 of the Texas Government Code, with certain exceptions the City of Roanoke may not disclose personal information in a customer's utility account record, or any information relating to the volume or units of utility usage or the amounts billed to or collected from the individual for utility usage, unless the customer requests that the City Disclose the information.

Request Form

To request information from this governmental body, complete the Open Records Request Form to submit online or

By mail to: 

Roanoke City Hall

Attn: April S. Hill, City Secretary

500 S. Oak Street

Roanoke, TX 76262

In Person at: 

Roanoke City Hall

Attn: April S. Hill, City Secretary

500 S. Oak Street

Roanoke, TX 76262

Rights of Requestors

You have the right to:

  • A waiver or reduction of charges if the governmental body determines that access to the information primarily benefits the general public 
  • Choose whether to inspect the requested information (most often at no charge), receive copies of the information, or both
  • Lodge a written complaint about overcharges for public information with the General Services Commission 
  • Complaints of other possible violations may be filed with the county or district attorney of the county where the governmental body, other than a state agency, is located. If the complaint is against the county or district attorney, the complaint must be filed with the Office of the Attorney General. 
  • Prompt access to information that is not confidential or otherwise protected 
  • Receive a copy of the communication from the governmental body asking the Office of the Attorney General for a ruling on whether the information can be withheld under one of the accepted exceptions, or a redacted copy if the communication discloses the requested information 
  • Receive a written statement of estimated charges, when charges will exceed $40, in advance of work being started and opportunity to modify the request in response to the itemized statement 
  • Receive certain kinds of information without exceptions, like the voting record of public officials, and other information
  • Receive treatment equal to all other requestors, including accommodation in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements 

Responsibilities of Governmental Bodies

All governmental bodies responding to information requests have the responsibility to: 

  • Be informed about open records laws and educate employees on the requirements of those laws.
  • Establish reasonable procedures for inspecting or copying public information and inform requestors of these procedures.
  • Inform requestors of the estimated charges greater than $40 and any changes in the estimates above 20% of the original estimate, and confirm that the requestor accepts the charges, or has amended the request, in writing before finalizing the request. 
  • Inform the requestor if the information cannot be provided promptly, and set a date and time to provide it within a reasonable time. 
  • Make a good faith attempt to inform third parties when their proprietary information is being requested from the governmental body. 
  • Request a ruling from the Office of the Attorney General regarding any information the governmental body wishes to withhold, and send a copy of the request for ruling or a redacted copy, to the requestor. 
  • Respond in writing to all written communications from the General Services Commission regarding charges for the information. Respond to the Office of the Attorney General regarding complaints about violations of the Act. 
  • Segregate public information from information that may be withheld and provide that public information promptly. 
  • Treat all requestors uniformly and shall give to the requestor all reasonable comfort and facility, including accommodation in accordance with ADA requirements. 

Procedures to Obtain Information

  1. Submit a request by mail, fax, email or in person according to a governmental body's reasonable procedures. 
  2. Include enough description and detail about the information requested to enable the governmental body to accurately identify and locate the information requested. 
  3. Cooperate with the governmental body's reasonable efforts to clarify the type or amount of information requested. Information to be Released 
  4.  You may review it promptly, and if it cannot be produced within 10 working days, the public information officer will notify you in writing of the reasonable date and time when it will be available. 
  5. Keep all appointments to inspect records and to pick up copies. Failure to keep appointments may result in losing the opportunity to inspect the information at the time requested. Cost of Records 
  • You must respond to any written estimate of charges within 10 days of the date the governmental body sent it or the request is considered automatically withdrawn. 
  • If estimated costs exceed $100, or $50 if a governmental body has fewer than 16 full-time employees), the governmental body may require a bond, prepayment, or deposit. 
  • You may ask the governmental body to determine whether providing the information primarily benefits the general public, resulting in a waiver or reduction of charges. 
  •  Make a timely payment for all mutually agreed charges. A governmental body can demand payment of overdue balances exceeding $100, or obtain a security deposit, before processing additional requests from you. 

Information That May Be Withheld Due to an Exception By the 10th business day after a governmental body receives your written request, a governmental body must:

  1. Request an attorney general opinion and state which exceptions apply. 
  2. Notify the requestor of the referral to the attorney general. 
  3. Notify third parties if the request involves their proprietary information. 
  • Failure to request an attorney general opinion and notify the requestor within 10 business days will result in a presumption that the information is open unless there is a compelling reason to withhold it. 
  •  Requestors may send a letter to the attorney general arguing for release, and may review arguments made by the governmental body. If the arguments disclose the requested information, the requestor may obtain a redacted copy. 
  •  The attorney general must issue a decision no later than the 45th working day from the day after the attorney general received the request for a decision. The attorney general may request an additional 10 working day extension.
  • Governmental bodies may not ask the attorney general to "reconsider" an opinion.