Driving Safety Course
If you are interested in taking a driving safety course to dismiss your citation, you must request permission to take defensive driving from the court by mail or in person before your initial appearance date on your citation.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- You have not completed a Driver's Safety Course within the last 12 months. The date of your last course must be 12 months prior to the date of your current violation;
- You are not currently taking a Driver's Safety Course for another citation;
- You do not hold a commercial drivers license;
- You must not have been cited for Speeding 25 mph or more over the speed limit.
- You must not have been cited for Speeding in a construction zone with workers present.
- Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest and waive your right to a jury trial and right to discovery;
- You must provide current liability insurance and a valid Texas driver’s license;
- Pay the required fee of: $114 for Speeding/Moving Violations or $134 for Speeding in a School Zone;
- You must obtain a current copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety (link below);
- You will have 90 days to complete a State-Approved Driver's Safety Course and return the certificate of completion to the Roanoke Municipal Court.
How to Request Defensive Driving
- In Person: Appear at Roanoke Municipal Court before your initial appearance date to request with a court clerk.
- Mail: You must complete/submit the required fee along with the Driver’s Safety Course Affidavit to the court before your initial appearance date.
Fail to Complete Defensive Driving
If you fail to complete/return the proper documentation, you will be required to appear before the Municipal Court Judge to show cause why you failed to show proof of completion. This may result in a conviction to your driving record and possible penalty points on your driving record.
- Application for Driving Record
- Driver's Safety Course Application (PDF)
- Texas State Aproved Driving Safety Course list: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/driver/driversafetyonline.htm