Animal Control Services

The Roanoke Police Department Animal Services Division is dedicated to helping protect the health, safety, morals and general welfare of both people and animals in our community. We provide assistance with a wide variety of animal-related issues.

Animal Control

Animal Control provides assistance including:
  • Barking dog complaints
  • Carcass removal
  • Impoundments
  • Investigating animal bites
  • Investigating dangerous animals
  • Loose livestock
  • Ordinance enforcement
  • Responding to stray animal complaints
  • Trapping nuisance wildlife

Animal City Ordinances

(Roanoke, Texas, Code of Ordinances Part II - Code of Ordinances, Chapter 2 Animal Control)

Leash Law

The City of Roanoke has a city ordinance stating that animals shall not be at large within the city limits. The term "at large" is defined as an animal that is not restrained by means of a leash or chain while off the owner's property or not confined to the premises of its owner. Animals at large may be detained by Animal Control.
(Ordinance 86-117 adopted June 17, 1986, Article III, Section 5)

Barking Dogs

The City of Roanoke requires that pet owners not allow any dog or animal to disturb the peace and quiet of the neighborhood or the occupants of adjacent premises with loud or unusual barking or howling. If barking persists, contact Animal Services. An Animal Control Officer will attempt to contact the dog owner, inform them of the complaint, and provide them with a copy of the city’s ordinance and possible solutions. A citation will be issued for continuous complaints of the same animal.
(Ordinance 86-117 adopted June 17, 1986, Article IV, Section 6)

Rabies Vaccination

Every owner of a dog or cat 4 months of age or older shall have the animal vaccinated against rabies. All such dogs or cats shall be re-vaccinated at 1 year of age and annually thereafter. Any person establishing residence within the City of Roanoke shall comply with this requirement within 10 days of establishing residency. The owner of the dog or cat shall attach to the collar or harness of the vaccinated animal the serially numbered metal tag.
(Ordinance 86-117 adopted June 17, 1986, Article VI, Section 1)

Required Pet Registration

The City of Roanoke requires that pet dogs and cats be registered with Animal Services. All dogs and cats 4 months of age or older which reside within the City of Roanoke shall be licensed. Cat and dog licenses shall be issued by the Animal Control Officer upon payment of the required fee for each cat or dog. Before a city license will be issued, the owner of the cat or dog must present a certificate from a licensed veterinarian showing that your cat or dog has been vaccinated within the preceding 12 months. If the veterinarian is unable to verify the same or such prior vaccination now undocumented, the owner shall sign an affidavit stating the veterinarian or clinic, the address, date and owner of the animal at the time the vaccination occurred. The owner shall state:
  • Breed of cat/dog to be licensed
  • Color of cat/dog to be licensed
  • Owner's name and address
  • Sex of cat/dog to be licensed
Said license shall be good for 1 year from date of issuance.

To register your pet, come to the Roanoke Police Department located at 609 Dallas Drive.

The license fee for cats and dogs is $3 per year for each animal. Upon payment of the license fee, the city shall issue to the owner a license certificate and a metal tag having stamped the year it was issued and the number of the certificate. Such tag shall at all times be securely attached to the collar or harness around the neck of the animal.
(Ordinance 86-117 adopted June 17, 1986, Article VI, Section 4)

Animal Impoundment

If the Animal Control Officer knows or can determine where a stray animal lives, the owner of the animal will be contacted.
If you have lost a pet, you should report the lost animal to Animal Services. Your pet may be waiting for you! Often times, your pet may be at the Roanoke Police Department. However, Animal Services may transport animals to the Keller Animal Shelter located at 330 Rufe Snow Drive in Keller.

To inquire if your pet was impounded or determine how to claim your pet, please all the Roanoke Police Department.
(Ordinance 86-117 adopted June 17, 1986, Article III, Section 1)

Other Animal Related Information

Animal Bites

If you are bitten by a dog or cat, wash and rinse the bite well. Consult a doctor to determine your next course of action. Contact the Roanoke Police Department to report the bite. Provide officers with the description of the animal that bit you including breed, size and color.

Corps Property

Areas in the City of Roanoke border Corps property. On this property, individuals can hunt:
  • Deer
  • Dove
  • Feral hogs
  • Quail
  • Rabbits
  • Squirrel
  • Waterfowl
As a result, hunting can be almost year round.
You can get obtain more information at or

Wildlife Issues

As development continues to encroach on the remaining open land in Roanoke, wildlife encounters have become more and more common. Roanoke residents and visitors are frequently confronted with a variety of wildlife, including:
  • Armadillos
  • Coyotes
  • Foxes
  • Opossums
  • Raccoons
  • Skunks
  • Snakes
To report any animal related issues please call Animal Services at 817-491-6052. You can obtain more information for all Animal Control ordinances at