Apply for a Library Card
Who can get a library card?
Anyone can get a library card, with the following qualifications:
- Library users who live outside the city limits of Roanoke must pay $25 per year per card, or $50 per family per year.
- Applicants under the age of 17 must have a parent or guardian with a card who agrees to assume responsibility for items borrowed by their minor.
A free library card is available for nonresidents under the following circumstances:
- You provide proof you own a business within the city limits of Roanoke
- You provide proof you work or are a current student at any school within Northwest ISD
- You are an employee of the City of Roanoke
- You bring a valid TexShare Card from another participating library
The library also honors cards from any MetroShare Library.
I've been told that even though my address appears as Roanoke, that I live in a different city. How can I be sure?
Unfortunately, sometimes the closest post office to your street address is in a different city than your home. There is an easy way to check online to see what city you reside in.
If you live in Denton County you can look up your address through this online service. You will want to type in your street number, street name (make sure to follow their suggestions,) and select the city from the drop down menu. After locating your address and bringing up it's record you will want to look under the taxing jurisdictions to see if "Roanoke City Of" appears under the list of jurisdictions. If it is there then you live within the city limits of Roanoke and are entitled to a library card. If it is not, then you are subject to the rules and stipulations listed above.
If you live in Tarrant County, you live outside the city limits of Roanoke. However, in the case that this may change, you can check your address through this online service. After pulling up your property record, you can then see the Taxing Jurisdictions. If "City of Roanoke" appears within these, then you are eligible for a free library card. If it is not, then you are subject to the rules and stipulations listed above.
So how do I apply for a library card?
At this time, all you need to do is stop by the library and fill out an application. You'll need your driver's license number for the application as well. It only takes a few minutes setup an account, and you can browse the collection while you wait. We have a lot of different types of materials to choose from, so be sure to check them all out!